Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy was first developed, used and validated for orthopedic surgery with a body of clinical literature accumulated over more than thirty years. In this treatment, the healing platelets from blood plasma separated from a patient’s own blood are re-injected into the body to enhance healing.
Platelets are tiny blood cells that are important in the clotting process. As the clot is formed, the platelets release enzymes that promote healing and play a role in tissue regeneration by attracting stem cells to aid in the repair of a damaged area.
The same process is used in the Vampire Facial. The patient’s own blood is drawn, treated, and then the platelet-rich plasma is injected into the patient’s face. Injections are made into strategic areas to encourage skin healing and renewal through new collagen production and fresh skin cells full of human growth factors. This increase in collagen and growth factors creates a more youthful, plumper, and firmer appearing skin.
As a result of the Vampire Facial treatment, the patient’s skin is naturally refreshed with little downtime.
The Vampire Facial is a non-invasive treatment made up of small injections into targeted areas of the face. The injections are very small and similar to those used in Anti-wrinkle injections and dermal filler treatment.
Before any treatment, you will have a thorough consultation with our Doctor. This is your opportunity to discuss your goals and expectations for the treatment and she will ask about your medical history. Whether it is on the same day or at a future date, the treatment will follow the same steps:
1) Preparation: The treatment area is thoroughly cleansed and prepared.
2) Blood draw: Your physician takes about 2 teaspoons of blood from your arm, in the same way you would have a regular blood test.
3) Isolating Platelet Rich Plasma: The drawn blood is placed in a centrifuge for 5 to 10 minutes. This equipment spins the blood at high speed to separate the lighter plasma from the rest of contents of the blood. This isolated platelet rich plasma is “activated” with calcium chloride to begin releasing growth factors that, once injected into the body, will increase collagen production and have other healing effects.
4) Topical anesthesia: If required or requested, our Doctor will apply a topical numbing cream to your face to keep you comfortable during your treatment.
5) Injection of Platelet Rich Plasma: Our Doctor injects the separated and activated platelet rich plasma back into your face.
6) Repeat: Best results are obtained after about three treatments spaced about a month apart, though a single treatment can be effective for some individuals.
7) Watch and wait: Growth factors contained in the plasma stimulate the release of the skin’s stem cells. The skin is being tricked into believing that it has been injured and must heal itself with new, fresh tissue. This somewhat sneaky process allows the skin to create new collagen, new blood vessels, and new cells. The results will not be immediate, so while you patiently wait a few weeks and even a few months, your skin will begin to transform itself.
An appointment for a Platelet Rich Plasma treatment will take about 30 minutes to one hour, though treatment time varies depending on the number of areas you are targeting.
Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy is autologous, which means it comes from one’s own body. Therefore, in theory, we should all be good candidates for this treatment if we want to improve the quality and appearance of our skin. Specifically, the Vampire Facial can be used to treat:
This procedure is not recommended for those with blood-related conditions, anemia, or blood or bone cancers. Patients who take blood thinning medication or non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) should discontinue their medication for a few weeks prior to their treatment and for a few days afterwards according to physician instructions.
The Vampire Facial requires little recovery time. There may be redness and some tenderness on the first day that . Occasionally some bruising may occur.
Within a few days patients begin to see noticeable results. Within 2 to 3 months, when the greatest benefit is seen, individuals report fully refreshed skin that looks and feels more youthful. These results can last between 1 to 2 years afterwards depending on the individual.
We recommend after your Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy, skin hydration and sun protection using Image Skincare products is paramount. A daily skin care regime that includes a moisturiser, serums and the application of sunscreen of 30 SPF or higher throughout the day is critical.
Dermal fillers are made from a substance that mimics what is naturally found under the skin and are like a gel that fills in lines and folds on the face. The body absorbs the product within 6 to 12 months, and a repeat treatment is then required.
Platelet Rich Plasma stimulates the body to create its own new collagen and tissue to create youthful volume and improve tone and texture. It can often be used in areas where dermal fillers are not safe. Platelet Rich Plasma treatment does not target individual lines and wrinkles but rather improves the overall quality of an area.
While the Vampire Facial has been a media darling, its popularity is not just hype. Early clinical data and positive patient reports indicate a strong future for Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy. As with any cosmetic treatment, a thorough consultation with our experienced doctor can answer all of your questions and give you information about this treatment and your other medical options is a must.